Saturday, September 26, 2009

All Campus, Off Campus

This weekend, I went of the ACOC retreat. It was mostly a good time, but some of it was a struggle.
It was kind of thrown into plain light that I don't have a "core" group of friends. I have Joelle, who I absolutely LOVE, but that's about it. And it started to really bother me because I felt like I was tagging along with some other people, but not really being a part of their "group" thing. So I left what we were doing at the time, and just sat and talked with God.
Here's what I came up with:
A: I am not going to come to college and instantly have an awesome group of friends like I have back home. It may happen later, but certainly not immediately. Friendship takes TIME, quality time. So what I'm feeling is normal.
B: This is a perfect opportunity to place my heart in Gods hands, where it's safest. He knows my emotional needs, and He is only doing what is best for me right now. So my best bet would be to just TRUST HIM, and lean on His understanding rather than my own.
C: I am where I am for a reason. God loves me insane amounts, and because of that, where I am is where I'm supposed to be.
D: If you ask, He will provide.

So I asked God for friends. I actually pretty much BEGGED God for friends. And do you know what happened the very next day? A wonderful girl named Claire pretty much landed in my life. She lives on my floor, and I'd met her before, but this was the first time when we were able to really talk. And I found out that she's really cool. We like a lot of the same stuff, and she kind of reminds me of my friends back home.

I could have cried.

God is SO faithful to His children. He provided a friend for me right when I needed it most, and really just showed me His love through her.
Whether or not we become "best friends forever" is really up to God. But this really showed me in a tangible way is that yes, He is taking care of me, and yes, he does love me.


On an aside, the sugar-free life is WONDERFUL. I absolutely love it. It's not always easy, but it's showing me that I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me. And the human support doesn't hurt either. I don't know whether I'll be doing it forever, but for right now, I am confident it is what I need to be doing.

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Erica, that is awesome. God is so good. I'm so glad God gave you another friend at school. You'll make more, I'm sure. It just takes time. And I'm proud of you for sticking to the healthier eating. :) You should talk to Aunt Marilyn about food. She (and Uncle Jim) have been seeing a nutritionist and she has really changed what she eats. She's lost 20 pounds! It was really good to talk to her yesterday. We talked for 3 hours- not too hard for Rabe sisters to do! It was so good to see you yesterday! Can't wait until you come home for fall break!

    ReplyDelete