Tuesday, September 15, 2009

God is God and I am not.

Perfectionism is something that has always dogged at my heels. It's this stupid little voice that always is nagging me to be better, to do more, to outdo God. I wish I could say that I don't listen to that voice anymore. That I'm all better, and I don't feel ashamed of my imperfections any longer. But that's not true. I still tend to dwell in shame when the inevitable happens, and I find out, once again, that I'm not perfect.
One of the many awesome things about God is that He is willing to meet me there. He's willing to come down in the pit of the shame, shine His light, and dig me out. No matter where I am or what I do, He's always there with me. Take a second to think about that. There isn't a moment of any day that He isn't walking with you. Even if you push Him away, fail to love, or whatever, He doesn't leave. What a perfect example of selfless love!
Today, I ate too much. I was so tempted to bury my head in shame, but I decided instead to trust what God says about me: That I am wanted and loved regardless of what I do.
I am so glad that God is God and I am not.

And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
Eph. 3:17b-19

No comments:

Post a Comment